National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership
Target audience: NPQML participants (Cohort 2 - application round January 2018)
Course Date: Induction - March/April 2018TBA
Course Location: Ifield Smile Centre, Ifield School, Cedar Avenue, Gravesend DA12 5JT
Fees: GLP members: TBA Non members: TBA
NPQML is aimed at individuals with responsibility for leading a team, including leaders of key stage, subject, curriculum, heads of department and pastoral leaders. This includes those who are, or are aspiring to be, a middle leader with cross-school responsibilities eg a Specialist Leader of Education (SLE). The qualification will support you in becoming a highly effective middle leader, with the skills, confidence and knowledge to drive successful team performance and improved classroom practice across your team. The support of a 'sponsor' from your school, usually your line manager or Headteacher, is essential to enable you to make the most of the programme.
The Gravesham Cluster NPQML package includes:
- Online Entry Leadership Diagnostic that identifies development areas through feedback from colleagues
- Induction Twilight for you and your coach, to fully understand the requirements of the programme and journey to Final Assessment
- 4 Face-to-Face days fully facilitated by 2 experienced and LLSE trained facilitators
- Online self-directed study to link Face-to-Face learning with your school environment
- School exchange programme through action learning sets to share best practice with colleagues
- Online access to the most recent school leadership research to support your development as a leader
- Final Assessment Twilight to fully prepare you for your assessment submission
- Ongoing in-school coach/mentor support to link learning to your in-school role
- Access to the highly commended LLSE support team throughout the programme
Leading with Impact:
- Anticipate other peoples' views or feelings and moderate your approach accordingly.
- Adopt different leadership styles to ensure the team meets its objectives.
- Present, communicate or defend challenging messages confidently and positively to a range of audiences.
Teaching and Curriculum Excellence
- Grow excellent, evidence-based teaching in a team and a curriculum that develops pupils academically and prepares them for adult life.
- Improve the progress, attainment and behaviour of all pupils, including those who are disadvantaged or have particular needs (for example, Pupil Premium, SEND, EAL or the most able pupils).
- Hold others to account, line manage and evaluate performance effectively.
- Support all members of their team with appropriate, targeted opportunities for professional development, including newly qualified teachers, teaching assistants and stronger or weaker performers.
- Recognise their own strengths and weaknesses and identify learning linked to their needs.
- Evalutate the impact of professional develpment and pupils outcomes.
School Strategy and Improvement:
- Manage and analyse performance data to evaluate progress, identify trends, define team priorities and develop improvement strategies.
- Implement successful change at team level.
Working in Partnership:
- Realise the benefits of collaborating with others, including teachers, teaching assistants and non-teaching staff, other schools, parents/carers and other organisations.
- Support their team to build and sustain relationships with others which develop and share good practice and improve performance.
Managing Resources and Risks:
- Deploy staff, financial and educational resources within a team effectively, to enhance pupil progress and attainment.
- Manage risks within a team effectively (for example, in relation to staffing, finances or teacher workload), using a risk register.
- Deliver a safe environment for pupils and staff.
The final assessment is submitted to an external assessor. The assessment comprises of a project style submission detailing your development as a leader throughout the programme.
You will create a 4,500 word report based on your School Project where you will have been working with your team to improve pupil progress and attainment and your team's capabilities.
Your school-based coach and sponsor will also be required tro contribute by verifying your submission with further evidence.
You will be able to choose a window for your assessment within an 18-month timescale